With severe pressure on income and student numbers its time for Higher Education institutions to take a long hard look at outsourcing their application development, maintenance & integration activities.
At 20-40% of the overall annual IT budget, application development & maintenance is one of the most difficult to resource & manage, especially in an era of rising student expectations and rapid technology change.
With a few notable exceptions, the UK Education sector is behind others in outsourcing. It struggles to attract and retain development staff in completion to sectors that pay more, offer faster advancement, employ more modern tools and offer more interesting work.
Common triggers for reviewing how you deliver, integrate and maintain software are:
- COVID 19 – remote working and reduced IT budgets for 2020/21 and beyond call for radical change and more value for money
- Internal knowledge & resource constraints, including loss of core skills through redundancy and retirement (including key contractors) or need to re-deploy staff to more innovative & strategic priorities
- Improve Stakeholder satisfaction in an era where students are questioning their options and faculty forced online
- Cost reduction and need to focus on remote working, e-learning and content digitisation (Digital transformation)
- Improve software development processes – adopting Agile principles and tools across development, integration & testing.
What are the major benefits of Outsourcing?
- Up to 30% savings against current spend
- Access to a deeper pool of ‘on demand’ resources
- Improved user and stakeholder satisfaction
- Reduced time to delivery
- Clear performance SLA’s mapped to core metrics
- A responsive and Agile development approach
- A shared cloud platform for collaborative working
So why isn’t Application outsourcing more common across the sector?
IT Outsourcing continues to grow in most sectors, especially Public and Utilities. Higher Education is a slow-moving and conservative sector historically insulated from commercial pressures and with ample funding in recent years. With COVID 19 this is now changed, forcing institutions to take a long hard look at their IT spend, seek efficiencies and meet increasing student and stakeholder expectations, and in record time.
Contact us for details of our FREE Software Outsourcing Assessment and find our how you can save money AND improve stakeholder satisfaction with your software solutions.